Sunday, October 14, 2018

On the Mar-y-land.

Howdy me!

I recently got a job in Texas, and then they told me that they needed people like me for a few months up North, so here I am. In Maryland! They put me right in between Washington D.C. and Baltimore, and considering I've been to practically no places in this area, I'm excited to get to visit them.


I started by going to Washington DC. It felt like the right thing to do. I drove a short distance to the far end of a DC Metro rail, and rode it into the heart of the city. The first image that greeted me was the resolute Archives, standing tall, and protecting the documents that started and have supported our country. Not being a place to spend too long in, I saluted to the Deceleration, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and promptly hopped out of there.











The entirety of the mall area was covered in the last lights of the Summer season of flowers. Grass was being blocked off for regrowth, butterflies made their way south, and the final flowers shone the brightest they could. I went to the Smithsonian of Natural History to look at the Dinosaur skeletons, rocks, and germs.














Leaving the Museum, I walked in the direction of the Capital building (on the day of the Kavanaugh Senate Hearing) and pushed my way past groups of middle schoolers on trips and protesters angry at the Supreme Court alike on my important mission to get pizza. I devoured my monstrous pizza, and left for the Library of Congress. After a few minutes in the waiting room of bureaucracy, I got my Congressional Library Card and spent my time exploring the libraries. I read the London Times from 1786 on an old film machine, explored the tunnels beneath congress, and went down long dark hallways in the Congressional Reading Room.




Congressional Library Reading Room

London Times from July 4, 1786


















To cap off the day, I took a speedy trip around half of the National Art Gallery (as much as possible before it closed), and went home to rest for the following day.













The next day I took a trip up the road to Baltimore. Tight brick streets awaited me as I snaked my way closer and closer to the inside of Chesapeake Bay. I had a leisurely bite to eat at an old Oyster house. Crabcake and Clams pulled right from the ocean in front of me were both delicious, and quite foreign. I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to eating clams and oysters.


My table for lunch


Eat Bertha's Mussels
 The final activity of the day was going to the National Aquarium. It was a massive and wonderful aquarium. There was an Australian exhibit, dolphin training, shark rooms, octopuses, jellyfish petting, a massive whale skeleton and much more. Aquariums aren't really my thing, but I still loved going through it.
National Aquarium at distance










That's all for now! Stay tuned in for more posts later.

No comments:

Post a Comment